6.24.2008

Green Is Good

I'm all for being green and practicing a sustainable lifestyle, but some people just take it too far!

I was at work today, in the checkstand waiting on impatient people who no longer want to look at every cooler and touch every other product. I was ringing up a woman's order while she was trying to calm down a screaming infant attached to her torso with one of those Johnny Jump-Up super nylon reverse backpack things. I noticed that she was purchasing organic foods and "green" cleaning products. She paid for a part of her order with a gift card that had now been deemed useless since there were no funds left on it. I offer to take the card off of her hands and toss it in the wastebasket behind me. I had no idea that I was waiting on the chief ambassador of recyling, reducing and reusing as I tossed the 3" x 4" card to its horrible death.

Right away, this lady shot me a look and said, "Aren't you going to recycle that? You mean you guys don't reuse them?" She pretty much made me feel like an ass for no reason other than to flex her green nuts in my face. I came up here to cut the huge line you were just standing in, in half, so you could have a pleasant shopping experience and get home faster. So you thank me by swinging your ugly baby in my face and make me feel like a dick because I didn't reuse your tiny gift card that can never have money added back to it successfully? Thanks, you effin' chunt!

So don't let me stop you from recycling your life away, just don't turn your nose up at me for doing my job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man this was a classic one!

Anonymous said...

oh my... testy there arent we child?

citta.poplin said...

that is brutal. wow.

unrelated, but when i was in hawaii last year, it was very strange. i am so used to bringing a shopping bag everywhere i go around here, but there, it's worlds different. every time, every single time it told someone i didn't need a bag, they were all fucked up about it. they just couldn't figure it out.

here's my secret, though. i don't really care about saving the materials used to make them, it's that i don't want them taking up space in my cupboards! hee!