As the two or three people who actually read this blog know, I had a birthday on Monday. It kind of turned into a weeklong celebration with different groups of my friends and family. I have come to the realization that most people think that the day of their birth is the best day of the year (See Amy). They probably have superficial reasons for their beliefs, but I am here to tell you that, to me, the seventh day of May fuckin' rocks.
Now there is at least one or two significant things almost anyone can find happened on the day they escaped the womb. People who were born on the day JFK was killed or the anniversary of the day they first produced Cocoa Puffs. There are events that happened on May 7th that you could argue the significance of, but I think they are worth mentioning.
1847: The American Medical Association was founded by Nathan Smith Davis.
1945: The Germans surrendered to the Allied Forces ending World War Deuce.
1946: Sony was founded. (Now can we be friends Japan?)
These are significant events in American (and Japanese) history. But the things I love about May 7th are the ones that are etched into your memories forever. I am fortunate to have my birthday fall during the NBA Playoffs, which is full of memorable plays and Charles Barkley trying to string together a sentence in English.
Two plays that nobody will forget happened on my fifth and twelfth birthdays, respectively:
1989: Michael Jordan, the greatest player to ever nearly kick Craig Ehlo in the face, hits "The Shot" whose footage becomes fodder for many an advertising agency.
Then, six years later, Reggie Miller capped off game one of the Eastern Conference semi-finals in Madison Square Garden by scoring eight points in a span of just 8.9 seconds.
So that's why I love my birthday. It's one of the only days that I can guarantee I'll talk to most of my family. Plus I get stuff.
1 comment:
May 7th is an important day! Who would have thought? That Reggie Miller sequence is one of my favorites. It's one of the few monumental plays in the NBA that I can recall.
Post a Comment